As site builders we can provide cost effective features for our clients if we stick to documented approaches that have worked well in the past. A number of folks in our Fox Valley Drupal users group have been talking about collaborating to collect some of these approaches into more formal "recipes" that can evolve into best practices for building Drupal 8 and 9 sites.
We aren't quite sure what kind of format this will take as yet, but here is the current list of ideas we will start investigating during our next Fox Valley Drupal Meetup on June 17th.
Ideas for Drupal Site Building Recipes
Submitted by Andy Olson
- Setting Up Responsive Images
- Setting up a Sub-Theme
- Layout Builder Module Ecosystem
- Setting up Font Awesome 5 for icons for Content Authors
- Webforms (lots of options here as there is a lot you can do with Webforms)
- How to QA when you don't have QA Resources
- Multilingual Considerations
- Content moderation considerations
- Setting up Search + Considerations (why to use solr, Algolia)
- Accessibility considerations for eCommerce sites
- How to Contribute to the Drupal Project (issue queue, testing, commenting)
Submitted by Bob Snodgrass
- Improving User Registration/login experience
- Email deliverability
- Simple Payment and Access; for services, events and content, i.e. things you don't have to ship
- Organic SEO
- General Building Best Practices
- Media Considerations
- Providing Printable content
- Migration best practices
Quick DrupalCon Global BOF Update
A few things have been happening to this idea since our original announcement.
- We are currently working on a demo of an example "recipe" and landing page.
- Asheville Drupal Camp had an unconference on Friday, July 10th which seemed to have lots of interest in the Drupal Recipes idea.
- @hussainweb put a BOF out at DrupalCon to talk about the idea
- attendees decided to create #recipes on the Drupal Slack... where conversations will continue
- RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Fox-Valley-Drupal/events/nspzlrybckbtb/ for anyone interested in joining the Zoom July 22, 2020 6:30pm CDT for continued conversation.